Thursday, October 8, 2009

Aunt Anne's Chicken

This recipe combines a love of two Aunties--my sister-in-law in Seattle and my husband's Great Aunt Lee. Aunt Lee's chicken contributes the evaporated milk and Aunt Anne the melba toast. The original Aunt Lee Chicken is made with Post Toasties (which I can't even find in the store anymore) and I have only had Aunt Anne Chicken once. So you see where the need to modify comes from. This is so simple and so good that I don't know why I don't make it more often.

Aunt Anne's Chicken
1 package any flavor Melba toasts (I used Sea Salt)
1 lb chicken thighs
1 can evaporated milk
s+p

Pour evap milk over chicken thighs and refrigerate for several hours. Good to start it during naptime. Then when everyone is awake, I get my toddler to help push the button on the Cuisinart to make the Melba Toasts into bread crumbs. Leave some small chunks of toast.

Preheat oven to 350. Drain off excess milk and toss chicken thighs with some salt and pepper. Dredge the thighs in the breadcrumbs and place on rimmed baking sheet. It's fine if they are touching because they shrink significantly during cooking. Cook for 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment