Monday, October 12, 2009

Pizza plus Baby bread

Made the dough during nap so that it could rise for 2 hours.  My son was so excited that he couldn't wait for the pizza to cook and kept eating all the ingredients (not unusual).  We started rolling dough at 4pm and all the pizzas were done by around 6pm since we made 4 personal-sized pizzas.



Pizza Dough
The dough was from Cook's Illustrated Best Recipe.  I used all-purpose flour instead of bread flour and let it rise in a cold oven to get it out of the way.  I think it's a solid dough recipe, but I'm not bound to it.  I'd like to find a less fussy version that I could get a bit thinner or even roll out.  I will say that this Master Recipe is much more forgiving and sturdy than the quick version that rises in a warm oven.

It's important to have a pizza peel because it's relatively impossible to move the dough to the baking stone without it. I also use cornmeal all over the peel to keep it from sticking.








Toppings:
pancetta
pineapple
bulk Mild Italian Sausage
thinly sliced red pepper
chopped Sun-dried Tomatoes
Mozzarella



Baby Breadsticks
Another great thing about making this homemade dough is that I was able to make perfect little breadsticks for my 7 month old.  She uses them as a spoon (since she has to do everything herself) and dips the crust into her baby food.  I dipped the dough in EVO and threw them on the baking stone next to the pizza.  They cook for about the same length of time and get pretty hard like a teething biscuit.

Dessert Pizza

For the last pizza, we all opted for a dessert pizza rather than leftovers of the other kind.  I reasoned that if you brush all of the crusts with EVO for savory pizza, then butter would work for a dessert one.  Nope.  I'll leave it dry next time.  The butter didn't brown so I left the crust in the oven for extra time causing it to get too crunchy.  I'll have to figure out if the butter caused it or if it's because that dough ball rested for about an hour while we made all the rest and the recipe says rest for 5-30 minutes.  Only a Cooks Illustrated scientist could probably solve that mystery.



Dessert Pizza
1 C confectioner's sugar
1-2 tbst milk/half n half
1/2 tsp vanilla
cinnamon sugar
chocolate chips

Sprinkle chocolate chips over dough right out of the oven so they can melt.  I'll use some nutella next time.  Mix confectioner's sugar and milk to make icing.  Drizzle on top of chocolate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment